Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Wednesday Poem: Leftovers, by Jack Prelutsky

This poem was sent in by Todd, who writes, "This is from an old children's book by Children's Poet Laureate Jack Prelutsky. Originally published in 1982, 'It's Thanksgiving!' was a staple of my childhood, and I was thrilled to track it down again recently with the guidance of several helpful bookstore clerks and the Internet. Turns out it's still in print, with a shiny new 'I Can Read!' edition from HarperCollins." To send in your favorite poem, e-mail: amy.cavanaugh@gmail.com.

Leftovers

Thanksgiving has been over
for at least a week or two,
but we're all still eating turkey,
turkey salad, turkey stew,

turkey puffs and turkey pudding,
turkey patties, turkey pies,
turkey bisque and turkey burgers,
turkey fritters, turkey fries.

For lunch, our mother made us
turkey slices on a stick,
there'll be turkey tarts for supper,
all this turkey makes me sick.

For tomorrow she's preparing
turkey dumplings stuffed with peas,
oh I never thought I'd say this —
"Mother! No more turkey... PLEASE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment